Thursday, July 30, 2015

Ebooks VS Print Books

PREVIEW:

In 2013 Glastonbury High School introduced the use of iPads into their curriculum. Freshmen and sophomores received the tablets that year, as a test run to see how this change would be handled. 

Giulia Savino was going into her senior year at GHS when this new way of learning was introduced. 

“As a senior, I did not receive an iPad that year, I was a little sour about it until I saw the changes that were taking place due to this new advancement,” said Savino. 

Savino said, “It was sad to go into the lunch room every day and see kids at tables playing on their iPads instead of engaging in actual conversation with one another. It was such a change from the time we didn’t have iPads when I was an underclassman.”

Savino said she believes the change will eventually be a good thing, however that there is a lot of learning that is better kept traditional. 

“There is a lot of good that can come from putting pen to paper, and opening an actual book," said Savino

POST: 

Griffen Jagel is going into his junior year at Glastonbury High School. In 2013 when Jagel was a freshman the school introduced iPads into the curriculum. 

“I was beyond excited, each of us got our own iPad to use for not only learning in the classroom but for personal use as well,” said Jagel

Jagel said a lot of his teachers were against the new teaching strategy, however there were training sessions and tech support therefore help was provided. 

“It is convenient, all of my textbooks for every class are easily accessible on my iPad, and in addition I get access to the library’s database which is helpful when I have papers to write.” said Jagel

Jagel said, “Since freshman year there have been many positive advancements that have been made to this teaching style, and teachers are starting to get used to the shift from using print books to using e-books.” 

Jagel is excited to see new advancements that the 2015-2016 school year will hold. 

“If this is where we are at now, I am curious to see what the world will be like when my kids are my age,” said Jagel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment